Monday, September 7, 2009

It's never too early when it comes to books




......And now there's proof!

On page 11 of today's Daily Telegraph, there was an article called "Life-Long Hook for babies"

"Babies reading?!" you ask yourself "What has this crazy world come to?"

According to the Australian Literacy Educators Association, the idea is not so shocking or odd at all.

Experts are now encouraging mothers to read to their newborns and from today, babies born at selected hospitals across the country will be given their first book as part of international literay day...which reminds me.......

HAPPY LITERACY DAY!!

So the reason behind this brand new alternative of cracking literacy problems is because of just that exactly...some children still start school having never seen or read a book in their life and thus parents are being encouraged to start reading aloud "beautiful sounding books" to their babies which include rythms and rhymes similar to music.

Wendy Bean, a volunteer at North shore hospital believes that babies that were exposed to books early fell in love with reading.

I personally agree with her and think that this is a fantastic innovation.

One of the best memories of my childhood was listening to my mum reading to me because it then encouraged and influenced me to keep reading on.

Having seen the article in today's paper It's also inspired me to read to my baby niece Paris who was born almost two weeks ago. Not that she'd need it. I'm sure she's gonna grow up to be the smartest little cookie in the world either way....hehe, biased much?


xoxoxoxox

3 comments:

  1. lol A little bit Toooo Biased for my liking Mwahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also find that reading to infants at a young age and continually introducing them to new or different literature helps make them more creative and actually want to start imagining and writing their own stories later on in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that was very factual and entertaining..

    ReplyDelete